Monday, August 23, 2010

A night in Seoul!

Let me preface this blog by saying that there will be a medical update at the end, and when I say that the picture is absolutely not for the squeamish I-mean-it. Don't click it if you can't handle blood ... and an incision that has exposed all layers of the dermis, right down to the muscle. Seriously.

On to non gut wrenching adventures now..

Zak and I took a trip to Seoul this weekend, it was great! We started off our trip by going to a hotel that Zak used to frequent when he stayed in Seoul a few years ago, since we had our back packs full of overnight things we wanted to drop them off before we started adventuring. Thats how we would have liked it to go anyways.. After being denied by about 8 hotels (why we were denied by so many I still have no idea) we decided to just skip that mission and head to the Coex Mall with back packs in tow. This was by far the busiest mall I have ever been to in my entire life! I got excited when I saw a familiar store on the mall map, and when I finally found my American store (Abercrombie and Fitch) I realized that the store was actually just one shelf of A&F product in a large department store, sad face. So then I ventured into a Korean store, similar to Forever 21 and crossed my fingers that I could find something to fit me! (In Korea a size M is equivalent to an American size XS!) I almost passed out when I saw a size large shirt, I knew I had a chance! It is actually great to be a bigger size in Korea because most of that clothing gets put on the 50% off shelf. I did score some great new tops!

Zak didn't get anything from the Coex Mall, it was just way too busy to keep shopping comfortably so next we headed to the Kimchi Museum! I didn't realize there were so many types of Kimchi! Here are a few photos from the Museum:
Little Koreans making little Kimchi!


Kimchi cures cancer... you didn't know?





Zak barely fit in the exhibit! 

After we left the mall we got on the subway and headed to Itaewon to meet up with a friend from Texas! It was great to see a familiar face in Korea! Faun took us to a bar called the "Bungalow" where we sat on swings and the floor was covered in sand, like a beach. We had a few drinks, met some of her friends, ordered ka-bobs that came with hot dogs on the end..


After Bungalow we went down to what I named the Seoul river walk. It is a man made stream that has fountains and a lazer light show! Mostly everyone was interested in the Korean street performer:



And a blurry picture of Zak and I:



By the end of the night, Zak was exhausted and so was I we finally found a hotel in Itaewon and got some sleep! We were going to do some more sight see-ing the next day, but due to Zak's medical issues, we decided it would be best to not over do it and just go home. (See mom's we listen!)

Now on to the juicy stuff (literally) yuck, I can't believe I just said that. Zak went for his post op check up a few days ago, and low and behold there is another complication. I feel so bad for Zak to have to endure all of this, but he assures me that it is not as bad as I think it is! lol So the doctor realizes that Zak has a seroma underneath the lower 1/3 of his incision. A seroma is a build up of fluid in an empty space that basically just keeps killing flesh and draining forever if it is not fixed. So apparently the only way to fix a seroma is to re-open the wound. There we were, just had eaten lunch, and the doctor whips out his medical scissors and starts cutting Zak open. I felt the color drain from my face and could no longer watch this process. The doctor cut about 2-3 inches wide and it opened up the cavity which is about an inch or so deep. We have to keep this cavity packed with gauze until it heals from the bottom up, which will take a few weeks. Like I said before, please do not click the picture if you do not think you can handle it.. 


(If you said YUCK or OMG to this one dont click the next)



To see more picture from our night in Seoul, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! You guys are so hardcore. I love love love this blog. Keep up the good work. I asked your grandpa to explain the taste of kimchee to me once (before Ohio had things like kimchee). It was not a pleasant description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! We enjoy updating everyone on whats going on in our crazy life. Kimchee takes some getting used to, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,not sure if you remember me but im Tims girlfriend, Elyse. Last time you came to athens we all went out to eat with Tina, and Zaks mom and sisters, anyways I love your blog! You guys are so lucky! Me and Tim want to move to spain or another spanish speaking country this summer. Can you tell Zak that timo says hey, and he asked me to ask you when you would be back in Cobb so they can chill for a bit. anyways ttyl. Im sure ill see you again in the future at some point. Enjoy Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elyse! Thanks for reading the blog, I try to keep it interesting! lol Thats awesome that you guys are going to try to move to a different country. It is a great opportunity, and so worth it! I have no idea when we will get back to the states, but when we do we'll be sure to get a hold of you and Tim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to keep up with it, because Tim likes to keep up with Zak and he wont ever get on the computer, lol so I do it for him. Oh and sorry about Zaks hospital visit, that must have been horrible in a Korean hospital, and for you as well, being in another country and your husband has to be hospitalized! I couldn't have handled that. When and if you do visit GA, you both are more than welcome to always stay at our place! Its 2am here, not sure the time there, but I best go to bed, school and work tommorow :( , lol ttyl. :)

    ReplyDelete