Sunday, July 25, 2010

A week's review of Korea

I think this has been the longest week of my life! Between all the jet lag and adventuring around Korea we were more than ready for a lazy Sunday! Earlier in the week I said how Zak and I discovered the great shopping mall in the Pyeongtaek metro station, but failed to mention the awesome pizza we had at the Pizza Hut here in Korea. They have an American menu and a Korean menu, and the pizza's can get a little crazy! (Im talkin' sweet potatoes crazy) So we went kind of low key and ordered their version of a Hawaiian Pizza, which comes with awesome cheesy fondue bites as crust! You rip off these sweet potato and cheese filled bites and dip them into a bowl of cheese fondue.... they are delicious! Here is a picture so you can get an idea of what I am describing:

Later in the week we decided to make a trip into Seoul, well Yongsan actually but we were basically in Seoul.  We visited the tallest mall I had ever been to, I think it was about 8 stories tall. We rode an express train which only took about 45 minutes, as opposed to taking the metro which would have taken us well over 2 hours because of all the stops. It is 4,500 won (equivalent to about $4) to ride the express train into Seoul, so it is well worth it! Here I am on my first train ride!


And this one is of me in the center of the mall where it is all outdoors, it kind of looks like I am on a ship:


We picked up a few things at the mall, and I quickly realized that I don't fit in most Korean clothing.. due to the hips my mother blessed me with! lol But we had fun nonetheless and also ate some grrrrrrrrreat sushi! I still can't get over how inexpensive food is here.

On to other things- Korea has a store called "Skin Food" meaning food for your skin, lotions, face wash, make up, etc. Zak and I decided to pick up some face masks to see what all the hype was about, and here is my detailed review/demonstration... enjoy!



Haha, pretty crazy huh? And while my skin did feel rehydrated by the "Alaskan glacier water" that is supposedly in this product, I don't think I will be buying it again because it felt as though I had a jellyfish on my face.

Yesterday we were invited to go to Zak's co-worker, Brett's home to have dinner and go out. Brett and his wife Kathy are great, and we also met up with another one of Zak's co-workers named Danny. After munching on some turkey and having a few pre-game beers we headed out for our first night on the town! Korean clubs/bars are a bit different than American bars but are still just as much fun! The main beer here which is served in all bars is called "OB" and tastes like Miller Lite to me. And all bars have Soju mixed with different flavors depending on where you are. We tried just about every flavor last night and are paying for it today! Here is a picture of Zak breakin' it down on the dance floor:


And me enjoying some Soju Slush! (It is VERY humid in Korea so please excuse my mop of hair going every direction)


Hope everyone is having a great weekend, much love to you all xxx

5 comments:

  1. The pizza looks yummy and I love the video of the mask. That was cute. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves. Good luck with your classes in the fall. Sounds like you are keeping busy. Don't forget to rest. Love ya, Mom (Andie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pizza looks awesome, and I have to tell you...there is the biggest flea market in the world underneath the soccer stadium in Dongdemun in Seoul. I accidentally came across it one day. It's actually underneath the bleachers and, I swear to you, it's like at least 1/2 a mile long and four tables deep of people selling stuff. I found 2 genuine alligator purses for $20-$25 a piece and a real rabbit fur coat for $50 (I gave it to my aunt for Christmas). And, I bought Jelle a rare brand-new Beatles album for $1 (and it's worth like $60 because it was only ever released in Korea). Man, I totally miss Korea. I might have to take a trip out there to visit you guys. Oh yeah, and Faun is now living in Seoul too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pizza looked GREAT ! I LOVE YOUR BLOGS... i want to see some korean kareoke !!! LOL :)

    all our love ,
    the grants <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Zak says "you're so pretty" with that thing on your face, too funny! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren- Thanks for the tip about the flea market, we will definitely have to check it out! Come visit any time you would like!

    Laura- He is such a good husband right?! LOL

    ReplyDelete